30/01/2013

Valentines Wildcrafted Herbal Teabags (No Sew)

I hope I am in time with this project to enter into the "wild things" round up  at hunger and thirst. The January  assignment is all about wild plants used for tea  brews. I've combined the project with a Valentines gift for the man in my life. I'm not sure if he'll like all the blends, but he does like chamomile tea.

Italians drink much less black tea than English people do.  Instead they drink more coffee (espresso), but also more herbal teas/tisanes, especially chamomile which is given to very small babies, kids and anyone who likes it before bedtime.

All supermarkets and even corner shops stock herbal teas. It's very common to buy ready blended mixes such as relaxing (chamomile and  lemon balm often with linden, hawthorn or passion flower), after meal (fennel, liquorice or lemon balm)  and  purifying/draining ( lemon balm, mint, nettle, elderflower, horsetail)
 I love chamomile tea with a little honey and  it combines really well with lemon balm . I also like soothing mallow tea  and have been meaning to try it  with mint for a while. I think it would make a good iced-tea. Yarrow *, elderflower and a little dried  lemon rind , would be good to help fight a cold/flu or keep them at bay.  I also like rosehip tea and the addition  of a small amount of cinnamon and rose petals would make it special, warming and spicy!

The project was  easy if a bit fiddly, but I so enjoyed myself. I used thin cotton gauze and kitchen string.
I found some great tags for Valentines Tea for Two at heatherbullard.typepad.com designed for Valentines Day. One side has"Steeped in Love" and the other "Tea for Two". Just what I was looking for.
They are free to download.

I made four blends of tea;


You can see photos  of the plants here;
Chamomile  matricaria chamomilla
Lemon Balm melissa officinalis
Mallow malva sylvestris
Mint mentha acquatica
Yarrow* achillea millelium
Elderflower sambucus nigra
Rosehips  rosa canina

(*Some people can be sentitive to yarrow. It should not be taken very often or given to pregnant ladies)

All the  "tea" ingredients were gathered in the summer near my home, apart from the rose petals, cinnamon, lemon rind. You could use different  blends or green tea or black tea.

Put 1 teaspoon of chosen plant or tea onto  a square of gauze
Wrap  it up
Fold the ends into points
Fold into a  teabag. Tie a knot in string, place inside and staple together


Add the  teabag tag
Make a simple paper sleeve and write the ingredients

Use different colours for different blends

I used an old teabag box

Tea for Two - Steeped in Love - Happy San Valentino!

DIY Competition 
The Chicken Chick

Like Mama~Like Daughter
shared @
natural-living-monday
healthy-tuesdays
 wildcrafting-wednesday
repurposemylife.com 
eat-make-grow-blog-hop

22 comments:

  1. love this way of making teabags, WD!! Brilliant:) I am all over this method:) What a lovely Valentine's Gift! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! :O I'm astonished how professional and smart they look! And pretty!

    I hope to remember this next summer and collect herbs.

    I also like how I learn new words for plants here, I had no idea that "siankärsämö" is yarrow in english thouhg i had heard it before, lemon balm was also something I wondered what it was until I saw the latin name and visited the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Leslie,melinda and Taika :) They were quite time consuming to make, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cool! So cute. Homemade gifts are the best. :)
    Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are wonderful! Please come sahre again wit us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-funky-junky-windchime-at-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea! Much nicer to give as gifts than a tea ball. :) Thank you for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday! :)
    ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great gift idea.......Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely idea wcd..a gift made with love like that is a true gift indeed..j

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your packaging details. And those are some of my favorite blends as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting Amber. I love your blog "RowanandOak.Com" and am looking forward to following your new easy herb gardening series! I especially like the "easy" bit.

      Delete
  10. These are so pretty!! I love the packaging. What a beautiful gift.
    Thank you for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely and delicious! Thanks for sharing at my blog hop. Always enjoy your posts. Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to let you know I featured your tea bags on my blog today! Hope you share with us again this week at Eco-Kids Tuesday http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/02/garden-planning-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou Angela, Marlo and Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you made there Sandra!! I'd be very happy if my love made something like that for me :) Lucky husband you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ceren, maybe he'd prefer a bottle of wine LOL, we shall see....

      Delete
  15. thanks for share...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. I just located your blog and wished to let you know that I have certainly loved reading your blogs. At any rate I’m going to be subscribing to your feed and I really hope you are writing again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely blog! I personally adore chamomile and mint, or chamomile with basil blossom....thanks for the amazing information!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jana :-) mmm.... I like the sound of basil blossom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback. Comments are gladly accepted ;)