19/01/2013

40+ Things to do with Dandelions



I haven't posted for a few days as this post has taken a while to finish.  The mild weather has been replaced by alternate freezing fog, snow and rain. I find myself dreaming of daisies and dandelions.
I began listing possibilities for using dandelions in the spring and the list has just kept on growing. It wouldn't have been possible without "pinterest". If you are not a convert yet, check it out.
 I am totally addicted. I am however, allergic to facebook, haven't got to grips with twitter and I am scared by google+.

Things to do with Dandelions;

With the greens   

1 Feed them to hens/rabbits/goats


2 Make  Dandelion Salad

 



  3 Make Dandelion Chips            

  4 Cook Dandelion Greens

                        dandelion greens recipe, eggs on toast, dandelion greens, wild greens, brunch recipe               

                              @  mymansbelly.com                           @ yummysupper.blogspot.com

  5 Make Dandelion Soup

@ flexitarianfoodie.com

 

  6 Make Dandelion Sausages


 

  7 Make Dandelion Vinegar 

With the buds

  8 Make Marinated Dandelion Buds


  9 Make Pickled Dandelion Buds

With the Flowers

  10  Make a Dandelion (Daisy) Chain


11 Use as  Paintbrushes


http://craftingfunforkids.typepad.com/.a/6a011570915aed970b0134804549aa970c-pi



12 Make  yellow dye


@ homespunlife.wordpress.com

 13 Make  Dandelion Cookies


@ ramblingdesign.wordpress.com

14 Make  Dandelion Muffins

ng_dandelionmuffins
@thenourishinggourmet.com

15 Make Fried Dandelion Flowers

Fried Dandelion Flowers
@ thedailyspud.com

16 Make Dandelion Pesto

Dandelion Pesto
@ diaryofafirstchild.com

17 Make Dandelion Sorbet


@ emmabradshaw.blogspot.com

  


18 Make Dandelion Jelly


@ bringmemycoffee.com

  19 Make Dandelion Risotto

Dandelion flowers used on a risotto
@ guardian.co.uk

20 Make Dandelion Pasta


ediblewildplants.wordpress.com

  21 Make Dandelion Bread

@ fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com

  22 Make Dandelion  Tea (Iced)

Dandelion Iced Tea
@ sumptuousspoonfuls.wordpress.com

  23 Make Dandelion Fizz


nibblingonnature.blogspot.com

  24 Make Dandelion Wine


@ littlehouseontheurbanprairie.wordpress.com


  25 Make Dandelion Liqueur


@ vallenuova.blogspot.it

  26 Make Dandelion Massage Oil 

@ domesticservitude.blogspot.com

27 Make Cough Syrup


@ theabsinthefairy.blogspot.com
 

  28 Make  Dandelion Salve

 @ littleseedfarm.com


With the Clocks(Seed Heads)

  29 Tell the time (Blow them)

 

  30 Make a Wish (Blow them or Catch a Seed)

 


  31 Make a Dandelion Seed Necklace 


 @ aptaadcreandum.wordpress.com

  32  Make a Table Decoration

Dandelion Centerpiece 

 

  33 Make a Work of Art 

artoll12  

@ regineramseier.ch


With the sap

  34 Get rid of a wart


@ littlepitchers.blogspot.com

  35 Make a Temporary Tattoo

With the Roots  

36 Make Dandelion Coffee



37 Make a Dandelion Tincture

first image 

  38 Find a book or something with or about Dandelions;

                            amazon.co.uk

                                             

 

                                   amazon.com

                                             

 

39 Read a poem about Dandelions

 fohn.net/dandelion-pictures/poetry

 

 40Listen to a song about Dandelions

 Dandelion-The Deloreans

Dandelion-The Rolling Stones  


 41 Go to a Dandelion Festival

thedandelionfestival.ca 

 visitestonia.com/en/dandelion-festival

 breitenbachwine.com/dandelion-festival

 

  I think that's enough now. I got carried away....

I haven't included Root Beer or Smoothies and I'm sure there are many other ways of using them.

Don't overlook Dandelions  and never ever think of putting weed killer on them! If you do consume them make sure they are from a chemical/pollution free zone.

If you find your Dandy post on this list and you'd rather not, let me know and I will remove it.
 If you have other ideas I'd love to hear them. 
If your lovely ideas have been featured, thankyou for sharing and if  you'd like a button, help yourself.


http://wildcraftvita.blogspot.it/2013/01/things-to-do-with-dandelions.html



Wildcrafting Wednesday Featured Blogger Award
Wildcrafting Wednesday People’s Choice Nominee


shared @
frugal-days-sustainable-ways
clever-chicks-blog-hop
 natural-living-monday
wildcrafting-wednesday
waste-not-want-not-wednesday
eco-kids-tuesday
farmgirl-friday-blog-hop

65 comments:

  1. So much to do with dandelions!! :D

    I have to remember this, last summer I actually planted dandelions to my parents yard. My pets love them but only few grows there so I had to take matters into my own hands :)

    Hopefully next summer I get to use some of these tips, dandelion chips soud definately interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm looking forward to trying some of them too!

      Delete
    2. Where did you get the seed to plant??

      Delete
    3. Taika lives in Finland, so unless you live there would be a bit tricky. Here they are usually included in mixed seeds for country-style wild lawns with other wild flowers like daisies.

      Delete
  2. ooooo thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went and pinned this, of course :^) sharing with my herbal groups too. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, never thought you could do so much with dandelions. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-18-and-country.html







    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab collection! Thanks for linking to me :) When dandelion time comes around, that's sometimes what we have for lunch/dinner for days in a row. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and for your kind comment!

      Delete
  5. great post! a fab visual collection of all the ideas!

    Btw, there's a doctor here in Turkey who is kind of popular like Dr. Oz on TV. He believes in herbal medicine as well and he was saying that when you have a sore throat one of the best natural ways to get rid of it is to rinse your throat with some sage-water (gargling with water in which you boiled sage). have you heard of something like that before? I found it interesting, thought I'd let you know. I know it has nothing to do with the dandelions but oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that about the sage. I'll try that next time I get sick. :) from beckmeister17

      Delete
  6. Cheers Ceren, Thanks for the info. Yes I've heard reports of sage, but I've only really used it in cooking. The wild sage here doesn't have the same strong scent as the one I cultivate in the garden. It's on my list of experiments to try now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I love this! You have such wonderful and fun ideas. I will keep them in mind for when dandelions bloom here this spring. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Angela! Thanks for hosting

      Delete
  8. I really like this post!! (I have a dandelion tattoo!) Please consider sharing this post with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/paper-beads-on-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah, also for the invitation,would love to!

      Delete
  9. What wonderful ideas! I'm so glad you shared this post on Wildcrafting Wednesday, I learned some new ways to use one of my favorite herbs! :)

    ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this on Eco Kids. I can't wait to try the temporary tattoos with my kids! I pinned this article: http://pinterest.com/pin/48554502204654466/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they are very temporary! mix the sap(try from the top of the root), especially after rainy days, with a little mud. Leave to dry, gently wash off and a faint yellowish tattoo remains. Must do a post!

      Delete
  11. You make me wish I had dandelions growing around my apartment! I love them steamed and in salad, but that's only 2 of your 41 wonderful ways to use them!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday. Also, in case you haven't already seen it, I'm giving away a copy of a new Paleo cookbook called Primal Cuisine, so swing by and sign up to win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding the time to comment :) and new tip.

      Delete
  12. I love all the fun ideas on using dandelions! I wish more grew on my lawn! Thanks for sharing with Natural Living Monday. I hope you join us again this week!
    http://nourishingsimplicity.org/2013/01/natural-living-monday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I jusr keep lovin' this post!! Our playschool children know they can eat dandelions and then there is my dandelion tattoo lol I featured this post at Eco-Kids Tuesday today! Thanks for sharing it with us! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-funky-junky-windchime-at-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could so do with some dandelions at the moment....or any flower outside for that matter! I remember eating dandelion greens with my dad when I was little and that he would make dandelion wine. He passed away when I was 13 - before I learned how he chose which dandelions to eat or how to make the wine. Maybe I need to start researching it and share with my kids!

    Another blogger and I host a Healthy Tuesdays Blog Hop and we would love to have you join us sometime. Here is a link so you can check us out: http://www.countrylivingonahill.com/2013/01/healthy-tuesdays-blog-hop_28.html
    I hope to see you soon
    Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and the invite. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad so young. He sounds great :)

      Delete
  15. Congratulations! You're one of the Featured Bloggers on this week's Wildcrafting Wednesday! :)

    http://mindbodyandsoleonline.com/herbal-information/73rd-wildcrafting-wednesday/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post! Thanks for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday #73. You are a featured blogger this week.

    http://www.woodwifesjournal.com/2013/01/wildcrafting-wednesday-73.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That's a whole lot of dandelion stuff!
    Cool dandelion creation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Kathy, Wanderer and Lynn, so pleased Dandies are "in"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't read all the comments, but you can also make dandelion wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes you can! I never have, have you? I did include a link.

      Delete
  20. I have to admit that I probably would never make any of these, but you did give me a reat smile for the rest of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can anyone please tell me what they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea, The flowers are quite sweet, the leaves rather bitter and the roots very bitter. I don't particularly love eating dandelions straight from the ground, but they are delicious served in a Mimosa Salad. Dandelion Jelly is gorgeous:) There is only one way to find out how they taste for you!!

      Delete
  22. I love dandelions! I cal them "little suns! Despite the childood myth in England that picking them makes you wet the bed! A very undervalued plant. I have many happy memories of the two main men in my life, both now in the Summerlands, my Dad and my husband, picking and making dandelion wine. The name comes from the French Dent de Leon, which means "Lions teeth" and is a refernce to the jagged edge of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great article! Thanks!! I reblogged it on my blog. http://deckerducknchicks.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/dandelions-not-your-average-weed/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKYOU for visiting and blogging :-)

      Delete
  24. Love all of these ideas! I am making dandelion wine and salve with the flowers, I have pickled the buds, eaten the greens, and I have a root tincture going in my cupboard right now. I am also making a fermented soda....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Dandelion Queen, will add you to the list :-) Thanks for commenting, love your blog x

      Delete
  25. You can make a tea with the roots and it works as an electrolyte drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for that. I will try it :-)

      Delete
  26. thanks for the link - it has brought a good amount of traffic to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I had no idea dandelions were so popular when I posted !!

      Delete
  27. I would like to add one more ideae, and that is to watch them and observe what happens inside off you. A great spriritual practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said!! All the plant world and especially the flowers have so much to tell us if only we look and listen:-)

      Delete
  28. Fantastic collection! I am so happy to find this blog. Now I decided to get out to collect some Dandelions and try something with it. My dad is a forest engineer and know a lot about these plants, but funny enough he would not think this flower this way at all LOL! Thanks for bringing sunshine and spring through these recipies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betti, just visited your shop....amazing work :-) On my list for extra special pressies

      Delete
  29. Thank you for sharing your recipes, this will be really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh! I just now saw you used one of my pictures and gave me a link! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I feel so honored, I am blushing!
    You have a wonderful blog! I have to get back into writing mine! I have neglected it sadly! lol Sooo much to do, but I am determined to get back into action here!
    Again, thank you so much for the link and the honor of having my picture here!
    Best of all to you!
    Bridgett from Ramblings of an uncluttered mind!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much i'm making the chips right now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. where do I find the receipies for some of these suggestions....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, Just click on the name of the links under the photos and it should take you to the blog :-)

      Delete
  33. Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this site
    before but after reading through some of the post
    I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often!


    Here is my web site http://www.momspantry.ca ()

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful post. I love, love, love dandelions. I make tincture out of the roots and eat the early greens including the buds, but this goes way beyond that! I never used to have dandelions on my land. One year, in the mid eighties, I wrote a little piece for the local paper in their praise. The next year they appeared for the first time. Of course that could be coincidence. When I received my first Reiki activation I was told to picture a lotus above my crown chakra. I have never liked the lotus, snotty thing obsessed with purity and denying the wonderful fertile mud that gives it life. Instead, my crown chakra sprouted a dandelion.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks-Glad you liked the post len :-) Viva Dandelions.....instant sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Buongiorno Diva, sono una nuova follower. Ti faccio i miei complimenti è un vero piacere leggere il tuo blog. È da un po' che cerco informazioni sulle piante spontanee e mi sto accorgendo che sempre più persone stanno tornando alle origini. Sarebbe davvero un peccato perdere tutto il bagaglio culturale acquisito

    ReplyDelete
  37. Grazie Mille!!! Scusi che non rispondo prima. Conosce http://www.piantespontaneeincucina.info ?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback. Comments are gladly accepted ;)